Monday, June 18, 2012

To Learn and To Serve


Reflections from a Restoration Ministries' Intern (by C.W.):

 I had no idea what to expect coming into my job at Restoration Ministries (RM). The one thing I was for sure about is that it is exactly where the Lord wanted me.

The first day of my internship I walked in expecting a morning prayer meeting (as my boss had mentioned to me in an email). I love conversing with the King so I figured it would be an awesome start to the day and I really thought it was just going to be a start to the day. Well, after meeting my boss and touring the office I found out that it was not just a morning prayer meeting but that Thursdays are prayer DAY. We spent time in prayer/worship from 9am until around 3:30 in the afternoon. Awesome! I admit, I was a little intimidated coming into a prayer meeting for an organization I knew very little about. But, the fact that this ministry operates out of reliance on our creator was such an encouraging first impression!

Through time in prayer, I really got to see how much my boss, Candace, really trusts God for. She asks for small and specific things as well as big things beyond our control. As my co-workers prayed, I listened and started learning about the ministry and what they actually do. I was filled with questions that spilled out as soon as we had a break from prayer. It was such an interesting way to get a feel for the organization.

I learned that a big part of what RM does is to go into the Youth Detention Center and Psych Institute weekly and provide a prostitution/intervention and prevention program. The girls age from 11-17 and have been brought to these facilities for things such prostitution, running away from home, self-harm, or suicidal tendencies. Each weekly meeting has a different topic of focus that could range from sex trafficking to future careers. RM gives each girl an intake form to try and gauge her history of sexual exploitation. If RM feels that the girl has been a victim of sex trafficking, further measures are taken to gain more information and provide services/resources for the girl’s healing.

RM also seeks to establish long-term relationships with the girls so that when they are released from their current facility, they have a place to turn for further help. This is just a summary of the work that RM does and has been doing over the past 8 years, there is still even more that goes on.

Before starting this internship there were two things that I felt the Holy Spirit wanted me to expect: to learn and to serve. It has been less than three weeks and I have already seen those things play out. I have been learning so much by spending time with Candace and other team members. Candace has had to sacrifice so much for this ministry that the Lord has obviously called her to. She has been so faithful to His prompting but it has not been easy. D.C. has been a hard place to plant this ministry and finding community to back her up has also been a trial; however, she stays faithful. It is so encouraging to see how much Candace really believes the Lord and trusts Him. I feel that a big reason I am here this summer is to serve her and lift her up as the Lord continues to use her. I am also so blessed by Beth who is a legal intern here at RM. She has children my own age but has honestly become such a good friend and sister to me already. She has an incredible story that Christ has and is using in her life. He shines brightly in it and that has so challenged me.

Though much of my work is very “interny” and mundane, that was expected and I am happy to do it. I am so blessed to be able to spend time with the girls at all. I feel a strong calling to be here and the Lord is definitely sustaining. Not everyday is joy-filled but I am praying that I can find gratitude in small things such as making copies or organizing files.

"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'” Matthew 25:23  - C.W.


No comments: