Thursday, July 15, 2010

Feeling Powerless

"I had gotten word that one of the girls from the jail had been trafficked from out of state. I was praying all the way over to the jail because I hadn’t met her yet and wanted to make contact. This girl was in hysterics trying to find some reason for what had happened to her and what the next step was. Explaining what I did just didn’t seem good enough to help change the circumstances. I explained that I have no real power as far as decisions for her future were concerned, but yes I would be there to walk with her through it all. I left the jail feeling completely powerless.


The next day I went over to the jail to see her again as promised. She was crying with her knees to her chest rocking back and forth saying I want to go home. I asked her if she wanted a hug and she nodded; however, she did not reach her arms out to me. I wrapped my arms around her and prayed for her feeling a little bit of the burden she was carrying.

Over the course of last week the Lord worked in amazing ways. I kept asking Him, “What am I doing God that is actually changing her circumstances?” The answer He gave me: “You are changing everything…you are showing her My love.” I got a glimpse into how she felt powerless in her circumstances and I was able to emphasize knowing that I was journeying with her in this confusion. My ministry is a ministry of presence where I keep showing up day after day loving her, listening to her, laughing with her, and praying with her. After I went to court with her she told the other girls in the jail that court went well “because I was there”. She was bragging on me and wrapped her arms around me saying she loved me. She told me I’m the only one who listens to her and cares for her. There was my conformation. I just shook my head and smiled…thank you God…I needed that. I am right where you want me to be and God you are being glorified. Restoration Ministries gave her a gift last week that her mom told me she didn’t have, a bible, it was her first one.

Thank you God, for you are the one who saves and heals. It is a blessing feeling myself getting smaller because it is the weak He uses to proclaim His glory and spread forth His light."

Alysha Tagert

No comments: